GrowNYC is a 52-year-old nonprofit organization that improves quality of life in New York City through environmental and food access programs that transform communities block by block and empowers all New Yorkers to secure a clean and healthy environment for future generations. GrowNYC Programs include:
- Our food access network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, and Fresh Food Box sites that ensure all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
- Resources like food scrap collection, recycling education, and zero waste events to make reducing your carbon footprint easy for all.
- Building and supporting community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
- Providing 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
GrowNYC is expanding its Development Team and is hiring a Government Affairs Lead. Reporting to the Director of Development (DOD), the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment helping expand food access, green our urban landscape, and nurture the next generation of environmental stewards. This is an opportunity to help lead GrowNYC’s substantial government fundraising activities and be a key liaison to City, State, and Federal elected officials. Working with GrowNYC you will have a positive impact on the environment and the lives of low-income New Yorkers.
Government Affairs Lead Responsibilities:
- Manage city, state, and federal fundraising efforts in collaboration with the DOD and lobbyist consultant to devise strategy and approach
- Responsible for meeting annual, personal fundraising targets in support of the Development Team’s fundraising and operating revenue goals
- Deepen and maintain relationships with elected offices through programming tours, event invites, issue resolution, and consistent information sharing
- Draft discretionary funding applications, report, and program collateral
- Communicate required program deliverables and reporting deadlines to program staff in collaboration with the DOD and Finance Department
- Work with Government Grants Administrator to ensure accurate and timely contract registration with city, state and federal agencies
- Identify and research potential new government funding opportunities in collaboration with GrowNYC’s Grant Writer
- Collaborate with Communications Manager and PR consultants to secure positive press, create social media content, and other public affairs opportunities
- Spearhead petition and public support campaigns relevant to GrowNYC budgetary needs
- Provide support of external advocacy-related events, such as lobby days and drafting public testimony in collaboration with DOD, senior program staff, and lobbyist consultant
- Maintain compliance with all lobbying laws and submit accurate and timely lobbying reports
- Ensure excellent data integrity by tracking funding requests and approved awards in the Raiser’s Edge CRM database
- Track, research and monitor city, state, and federal legislation and its impact on GrowNYC
- Assist with other special projects, departmental events, and meetings as assigned
- At least three years experience in government and/or community relations with general knowledge of all levels of government
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills
- Strong verbal communication skills and comfort in a forward-facing position telling the story of GrowNYC programs
- Must be highly intuitive, problem-solving, and detailed oriented
- A multi-tasker comfortable working on multiple priorities at once while executing projects in a demanding environment
- Ability to proactively contribute to assigned as well as unassigned tasks and projects, and work independently and with others to identify and solve problems
- A systems thinker who seeks ways to work smarter and improve GrowNYC’s current government funding approach
- Excellent organizational skills: creative, results and detail-oriented, and able to manage and prioritize multiple responsibilities within deadlines
- Proficiency with the entire Microsoft Office suite including Outlook, Work, Excel, Teams and PowerPoint
- Ability to apply sound judgment about sharing information internally and externally
- Enthusiastically represent the organization to funders and work with all levels of staff and volunteers with tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences regarding race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability, and socio-economic circumstance
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
- Commitment to the mission of GrowNYC