New York State Senator Andrew Gounardes (D-SD22) has an immediate opening for a Constituent Caseworker based in his district office. Strong interpersonal/communications skills, ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and capacity to work on/undertake multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously are a must. The selected candidate will work closely with senior members of the Senator’s district office, as well as senior staff of other elected officials and organizations. Good judgment, strong customer service skills, a passion for public service and availability to work some evenings and weekends are required.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Handling constituent cases and following up with appropriate agencies to see cases through.
- Monitor and track constituent correspondence and related paperwork in an online database. Log all requests and maintain up-to-date files on all cases.
- Act as liaison with federal, district, and local agencies for the Member and constituents;
- Attend community meetings and events to provide information about and promote the Senator’s initiatives to address issues and concerns
- Provide written and verbal updates to the Senator and his staff on community issues, major milestones, and concerns
- Remain current on the Senator’s legislative and policy agenda and serve as a resource regarding those issues for the local community and colleagues
The ideal candidate will also be willing to take on ad hoc responsibilities and projects as they arise. Ability to communicate in multiple languages, especially Spanish & Arabic, is highly desirable. Preferred qualifications include MSW/Master’s of Social Work degree plus 2 years of work post-grad, and SIFI certification or willingness to pursue SIFI certification.
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience. The positions come with an excellent benefits package including health, dental, optical, and retirement benefits.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and references if you would like to provide them at this stage of the process, as a single document in PDF format to [email protected]
All applications will be kept confidential. The New York State Senate is an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse and equitable workforce.