The Horticultural Society of New York is seeking an energetic and dedicated Community Coordinator to oversee the maintenance and care of public space throughout all five boroughs. This position is a full-time, year-round position that works outdoors and with the public. The Community Coordinator will provide maintenance, barrier set up, space management, and light horticulture to public plazas and open streets.
The mission of The Horticultural Society of New York is to improve human lives through horticulture. Our social service and public programs create green spaces in all neighborhoods as a vital part of social infrastructure, train people for jobs that grow and sustain green communities, and develop fresh approaches to improve New Yorkers’ health, well-being, and environment through horticulture.
• Set up, maintain, and breakdown open street barriers at specific times each day
• Report any issues with barriers to Hort management
• Maintain open space cleanliness including:
o Changing garbage cans
o Removing trash in planters and tree pits
o Managing onsite furniture
• Plant care support
• Report maintenance, sanitation, horticulture, and other issues to management in a timely manner
• Track and report open space conditions daily
• Support communication with community and agency partners in the field as needed related to operations
• Assist with pre-approved event tasks during normal work hours
• Ability to work collaboratively and independently
• Excellent communication skills and comfort interacting with the public, city officials, and local businesses/organizations
• A team player
• All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date
• Comfort working outdoors in various weather conditions
• Ability to stand/walk for eight-hour shifts
• Ability to lift 10+lbs
Benefits The Hort offers all Full-Time regular employees a generous Paid Time Off package, termed Life Insurance Policy and Employee Assistance Program. Pre-tax benefits include transit, Flexible Spending Account, and medical, dental, and vision insurance.
-Rate: $18.00 per hour
-Schedule: Varies by shift. Evening and weekend availability is preferred.
-Employment Classification: Full-Time Regular
How to Apply
To be considered please email a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and two references to [email protected] with ‘Community Coordinator’ in the subject line. No phone calls.
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal state, or local law.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations are also available for these individuals during the hiring process. Please email [email protected] should you require reasonable accommodation during the hiring process.